Potable water testing
Initiating from the 20th August 2013, implementation of the Maritime Labour Convention 2006, Standard A3.2- Food and Catering, para 7- “the competent authority shall require that frequent documented inspections be carried out on board ships, by or under the authority of the master, with respect to supplies of the drinking water.
The convention applies to all ships other than warships, naval auxiliaries, fishing vessels, vessels of traditional build such as dhows and junks and vessels operating solely in inland or sheltered waters. Ships of 500gt or over, engaged on international voyages, and ships of 500gt or over flying the flag of a member state that has ratified the convention and operating from a port or between ports in another member state must be certified.
World Health Organization (WHO) Guide to Ship Sanitation (2011) & Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality (2008)- “Recommended parameters to be monitored:
– Coli or coliforms
– Chlorine residual (daily)
– Microbial quality – bacterial plate count
– pH (daily)
– Corrosion- related contaminants – iron & copper
DRINKSAFE – EASY POTABLE WATER TESTING KITS
- 500No. DPD1 free chlorine tests with comparator disc;
- 500No. DPD3 total chlorine tests with comparator disc;
- 500No. pH tests with comparator disc;
- 250No. high range chlorine (superchlorination) tests with comparator disc;
- Colour comparator, test tubes, tablet crusher & brush;
- 25No. e-coli/coliforms tests with sterile containers;
- 40No. bacterial plate tests with syringes;
- Incubator & UV lamp;
- Goggles & disposable gloves;
- Test log-book Manual & training DVD – shows you how to take samples and do tests.
DRINKSAFE + the following tests:
- Turbidity tester
- 20No. enterococci tests with sterile containers
- 250No. copper tests with comparator disc
- 250No. iron tests with comparator disc
DRINKSAFE is guaranteed to be the easiest kit to use and includes more tests than all other available kits. It guaranteed to meet all Class & Flag state requirements, MLC & WHO Guidelines for operational and source water testing including pH, turbidity & metal residues;
HOW TO USE:
- pH, chlorine, copper & iron – dissolve test tablet in ampoule of water, put in comparator then read level from the colour disc. EASY!
- E-coli, Enterococci – dissolve test material in beaker of water, incubate, then test for fluorescence with UV lamp. EASY!
- Total bacterial count – syringe sample onto petri dish, incubate, then count colonies. EASY!